About Us

The Founding Fathers

The quondam, colonial clubs that dot major cities in India are probably the last remnants of British Colonialism that we see in Indian cities today. The first mention of the €˜Coimbatore Club’ was noted in the orders of the Collector of Coimbatore, Mr Wedderburn, in June 1873 when the Thasildar was asked to hand over a plot of land to the Honorary Secretary of the Coimbatore Club’.

Records show that the racquet court (the present swimming pool) and the croquet ground (the present tennis courts) are early establishments that had served as places of recreation in the city during the British rule. What started as different establishments gradually joined to form the Club. After going through various degrees of popularity and also brief periods of stand-still, the Coimbatore Club today is a destination that is well set for generations to come. That is definitely history in the making.

History

In the year 1903, some of the old records concerned with the formation of the Coimbatore Club were accidentally discovered. Fortunately, the important documents were in a sufficiently good state of preservation as to be legible. The earliest papers found go back to the year 1859 at which time there was a book club in existence.

 

Mr. Gadsden, the then secretary compiled a brief history of founding of the club from these documents. This was brought up-to-date in 1993 by Mr. Blackstone who, apart from documentary evidence, also added a few lighter touches. Events since 1933 are within the living memory of many of the older members who were approached for any information that they might have in the form of interesting incidents, anecdotes or photographs.

Facilities

Situated in the heart of Coimbatore, the club is a premier locality in the city. Initially started to fulfill the common objectives of the association, the Coimbatore Club has now grown to provide outstanding facilities for its members, their families, guests and members belonging to other affiliated clubs.